Economic outlook: Soft landing or recession?
Markets expect Fed hikes to peak in 2023.
Economic outlook: Soft landing or recession?
- Hi, I'm Heather Corkery, Managing Director of Client Portfolio Management at SEI. Today I'm here with Chief Market Strategist and Senior Portfolio Manager Jim Solloway, to provide a quick preview of one of the timely topics he covers in our most recent economic outlook. Jim, Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell still expresses hope that the Fed can achieve a softish landing, presumably where inflation gradually decelerates back to the Central Bank's 2% target without a recession. We certainly hope he achieves this objective. But do you believe it's realistic?
- The historical record is not promising. Based on our analysis data from the Economic Cycle Research Institute and US Bureau of Labor Statistics, there has been only one successful instance since the end of World War II, in 1951 to 1952, when inflation is running above 5%. Federal funds rate futures indicate that investors are anticipating a series of increases between now and year-end that would bring the funds rate to between 3.25% and 3.5%. Markets are presumably pricing in a recession by mid-2023, considering funds futures begin to decline at that point. The actual outcome will depend on how quickly the economy weakens and inflation ebbs.
- Last quarter, you told us that you thought the US economy could show a resilience that surprises both the Fed and investors. Do you think that's still true?
- I continue to think so. There is no denying that rising interest rates will slow economic growth but changes in monetary policy affect the economy with a long and variable lag. While the financial strength of US businesses and households is likely to ebb, the starting point is a very high one.
- Thanks, Jim. Read our latest economic outlook and watch our longer conversation where we address some of the brighter spots of the economic landscape, along with risks, challenges, and uncertainty that investors are facing today.
This material represents an assessment of the market environment at a specific point in time and is not intended to be a forecast of future events or a guarantee of future results. Positioning and holdings are subject to change. All information as of the date indicated. There are risks involved with investing, including possible loss of principal. This information should not be relied upon by the reader as research or investment advice, (unless you have otherwise separately entered into a written agreement with SEI for the provision of investment advice) nor should it be construed as a recommendation to purchase or sell a security. The reader should consult with their financial professional for more information.
Statements that are not factual in nature, including opinions, projections and estimates, assume certain economic conditions and industry developments and constitute only current opinions that are subject to change without notice. Nothing herein is intended to be a forecast of future events, or a guarantee of future results.
Certain economic and market information contained herein has been obtained from published sources prepared by other parties, which in certain cases have not been updated through the date hereof. While such sources are believed to be reliable, neither SEI nor its affiliates assumes any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of such information and such information has not been independently verified by SEI.
There are risks involved with investing, including loss of principal. The value of an investment and any income from it can go down as well as up. Investors may get back less than the original amount invested. Returns may increase or decrease as a result of currency fluctuations. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results. Investment may not be suitable for everyone.
This material is not directed to any persons where (by reason of that person's nationality, residence or otherwise) the publication or availability of this material is prohibited. Persons in respect of whom such prohibitions apply must not rely on this information in any respect whatsoever.
The information contained herein is for general and educational information purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal, tax, accounting, securities, research or investment advice regarding the strategies or any security in particular, nor an opinion regarding the appropriateness of any investment. This information should not be construed as a recommendation to purchase or sell a security, derivative or futures contract. You should not act or rely on the information contained herein without obtaining specific legal, tax, accounting and investment advice from an investment professional.
Information in the U.S. is provided by SEI Investments Management Corporation (SIMC), a wholly owned subsidiary of SEI Investments Company (SEI).
Information provided in Canada by SEI Investments Canada Company, the Manager of the SEI Funds in Canada.
Information issued in the UK by SEI Investments (Europe) Limited, 1st Floor, Alphabeta, 14-18 Finsbury Square, London EC2A 1BR which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Investments in SEI Funds are generally medium- to long-term investments.
SIEL has appointed SEI Investments (Asia) Limited (SEIAL) of Suite 904, The Hong Kong Club Building, 3 Jackson Road, Central, Hong Kong as the sub-distributor of the SEI UCITS funds. SEIAL is licensed for Type 4 and 9 regulated activities under the Securities and Futures Commission ("SFC")
This information is being made available in Hong Kong by SEIAL. The contents of this document have not been reviewed by any regulatory authority in Hong Kong. You are advised to exercise caution in relation to the offer. If you are in any doubt about any of the contents of this document, you should obtain independent professional advice.
This information is made available in Latin America and the Middle East FOR PROFESSIONAL (non-retail) USE ONLY by SIEL.
SIEL is not licensed under Israel’s Regulation of Investment Advising, Investment Marketing and Portfolio Management Law, 5755-1995 (the “Advice Law”) and does not carry insurance pursuant to the Advice Law. No action has been or will be taken in Israel that would permit a public offering or distribution of the SEI Funds mentioned in this email to the public in Israel.
Any questions you may have in relation to its contents should solely be directed to your Distributor. If you do not know who your Distributor is, then you cannot rely on any part of this document in any respect whatsoever.
Issued in South Africa by SEI Investments (South Africa) (Pty) Limited FSP No. 13186 which is a financial services provider authorised and regulated by the Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA). Registered office: 3 Melrose Boulevard, 1st Floor, Melrose Arch 2196, Johannesburg, South Africa.